7.24.2010

A Year of Memories_Junior-Senior Siblings

This NCSSM event happened earlier in the year, but it seems appropriate to write about it sooner than later.

For the past several years, the NCSSM student body has organized a senior-junior sibling program. The administrators have nothing to do with this, which makes the program kind of special. To make the mix diverse, juniors and seniors are paired with people of the opposite sex. The job of doing the pairings is passed down each year and the students interested have to fill out an “application” explain their likes and dislikes and interests.

My senior brother and I adopted (rather than paired) each other during the summer because we were both too lazy to fill out the application. We talked during the summer about what type of people we were, what we liked, how we had gotten along in school, and everything else. I told him how I was nervous about the school and he gave me tips and helpful advice. He told me how to arrange my schedule so I wouldn’t be overloaded with stress. We talked all summer via chat and quickly became siblings.

Then we moved in. At the first picnic dinner, we finally met each other in person, and boy was it awkward. It was weird how two people could talk about so much through the internet, but then have to learn to become friends in real life. But as we talked things quickly became normal and he dragged me around campus introducing me to all of his friends. We went out to lunch and he taught me the ins and outs of the school.

As school started we both became busy and didn’t keep in contact as much, but it was always nice knowing that there was someone you could go to. When I became home sick, he told me how my parents would always be there for me no matter where I lived. When exams rolled around, he cheered me on as I went through my textbooks.

He may not know this, but I really looked up to my senior brother last year. That is partly why I decided to be a part of the program this year. This year, I decided to not be lazy and actually apply. Today, I was given my junior brother. And like last year, we talked about schedules and the workload, and our future interests. It was a little awkward today since we were kind of thrown together, but I am excited for a fun year with my junior brother.

We’ll see what this year holds! Oh, and also, wish me luck! I have no idea what a senior sister is supposed to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say anything about your NCSSM experience. I want to know! But also keep in mind that any inappropriate comments will be deleted.