7.17.2010

RECAP_Week 1

Today I finished my first week at RECAP. I went to UNC’s chemistry lab from 8:30 to 4:30 every day and had information poured into me like never before. In just the past 5 days, I have learned so much about organic chemistry and the processes in a chemistry lab.

The first couple days I felt overwhelmed and kind of useless in the lab because all I did was ask questions, but as time went on, I knew how to use some of the equipment and knew what was happening. This week I worked on several reactions so that in the end I could create a cyclopropane. Cyclopropanes are useful because they have both a positive and negative end so they react with many other compounds. Also, the compounds they create can be used as pharmaceuticals and other biological products.
Friday I discovered that what I had been working on did not work, and that I hadn’t created any cyclopropanes, but my graduate student told me that this happens often in the lab. Next week I will be working on more reactions and hopefully be getting good results.

The experience so far has been so much fun. The part I enjoyed most about my chemistry class was the lab work, and I’m glad that I’m getting to spend so much time in the lab. I feel very independent being away from home, having to find my own meals and various other things. This is a totally different experience from going to NCSSM because I have my own schedule and there is very little supervision.

We’ll see what the next weeks have in store and hopefully, there will be good results in the lab!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say anything about your NCSSM experience. I want to know! But also keep in mind that any inappropriate comments will be deleted.