7.01.2010

A Year of Memories_First Day of Class

Tuesday morning I got up and put on the outfit I had carefully planned the night before. Today was another day of first impressions. First day of class!
My first class, Junior Student life. After a round of name games and introductions, we went over the syllabus. We were going to do some readings, journal entries, and a final project. This class seemed pretty straightforward. I knew I could handle it just fine.

After class I raced off to find my next classroom. Watts 055? American Studies was a joint class of US History and Junior English. We were given a syllabus and went over how the class would work and what assignments were due when. We also played a name game to learn each other’s names. Our class was full of dynamic people and both of our professors were very enthusiastic. This made me excited too.

Next was chorale. I was slightly nervous because it had been a while since my last chorus class, but quickly got over it. We went over a few warm ups, learned correct posture and breathing, and got some music that we would perform later on. Our director was very easy going and had very original ideas. This class would be very fun, I already knew.
Then came lunch. I ate with my hall mates and talked about our classes so far. This was just like my old school. I could manage this new life

Afterwards, I grabbed my calculator and went to AP Calculus. When our professor walked in, he handed us the syllabi and began teaching. Teaching? What? We all rushed to get our notebooks out and started scribbling everything down. I soon realized that I understood nothing. I had taken Pre-calculus a while ago, but I couldn’t even follow. Was I in the right class? What was going on? I decided to take as much notes as possible and I would have to learn everything tonight.

I had never struggled in a math class. Feeling dazed and a little less optimistic I walked to AP Chemistry. I had never taken chemistry before... why I was in an AP class? But hopefully I would have some talent in chemistry. When the professor walked in, she handed us the syllabi, quickly went through how the class would work and started a power point. Mass and matter, check. SI units, check. Sigfigs... whats that? Nomenclature, no! go back! I stopped taking notes and just sat there. Words flowing in one ear and out the other. I had 20 minutes left. 20 long minutes of holding back tears.

Why couldn’t I understand? What if I wasn’t smart enough for this place. I would have wasted so much of my parents’ time for just coming here. I didn’t know what to do. After class I ran back to my room and started bawling. This had been the worst first day. And I had already been through 11 others. This is how I started my first day at NCSSM. But, to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say anything about your NCSSM experience. I want to know! But also keep in mind that any inappropriate comments will be deleted.