1.16.2010

Independence

As I was thinking about my family and friends back home, I realized what people meant about becoming independent once you leave home. During the summer before I came to NCSSM when people told me that I would have to learn to be independent, I just let those words go in one ear and out the other. I thought as a mature young adult I was already very independent and self motivated.

I was thinking of all the times my friends and parents were there to console and motivate me. Often times I did not even have to tell them I needed help, we were just always together and they knew without me telling them. After coming here I realized that now, I was not just living alone, but so far away from them that if I wanted their help, I would have to reach out to them. The side of independence that I’m starting to learn is that I wont always have people waiting to help and comfort me, but rather I need to ask them and it’s nothing to be ashamed of. I am learning that I can no longer be as dependent on someone because of we’re physically apart. At the same time, I will always have people around me to support me, I just have to learn to reach out to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say anything about your NCSSM experience. I want to know! But also keep in mind that any inappropriate comments will be deleted.